Saturday, March 12, 2011

Helping Japan

Almost ten years ago I left America to work in Japan, in a smaller city called Sendai on the northern part of the main island. It was my first time in the country and I had no idea what to expect from Sendai other than it was called "The City of Trees" for its greenery and parks.

It only took me a few months to fall in love with the city, with its quiet beauty and kind people, and even though I haven't been there for several years I often think of it and hope to one day have a second home there.

When I woke up yesterday morning and rolled over to check my emails on my phone, there was the message about the quake and tsunami, sent by a dear friend who is down in Tokyo.  She is OK, thank God.

Sendai and Japan, however, are not, and they need help. Whether it's through donations, prayer, or just spreading the word, please don't let this horrible disaster pass you by without doing something about it, no matter how small. The people of Sendai and in other affected parts of the country have a long, hard road ahead of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment